By Harold D. Gunn
Routledge is proud to be re-issuing this landmark sequence in organization with the foreign African Institute. The sequence, released among 1950 and 1977, brings jointly a wealth of formerly un-co-ordinated fabric at the ethnic groupings and social stipulations of African peoples.
Concise, serious and (for its time) actual, the Ethnographic Survey contains sections as follows:
- Physical Environment
- Linguistic Data
- History & Traditions of Origin
- Cultural beneficial properties: faith, Witchcraft, delivery, Initiation, Burial
- Social & Political association: Kinship, Marriage, Inheritance, Slavery, Land Tenure, war & Justice
- Economy & Trade
- Domestic Architecture
Each of the 50 volumes can be available for purchase separately, and those are equipped into local sub-groups: East critical Africa, North-Eastern Africa, Southern Africa, West imperative Africa, Western Africa, and imperative Africa Belgian Congo.
The volumes are supplemented with maps, on hand to view on routledge.com or to be had as a pdf from the publishers.
Read Online or Download Peoples of the Plateau Area of Northern Nigeria: Western Africa Part VII: Volume 37 (Ethnographic Survey of Africa) PDF
Best anthropology books
Noha Radwan deals the 1st book-length learn of the emergence, context, and improvement of contemporary Egyptian colloquial poetry, lately used as a motor vehicle for communications within the innovative adolescence circulation in Egypt on January twenty fifth 2011, and situates it between modernist Arab poetry.
Migrant ladies remodeling Citizenship develops crucial insights in regards to the thought of transnational citizenship via the existence tales of expert and expert migrant girls from Turkey in Germany and Britain. It interweaves and develops theories of citizenship, id and tradition with the lived reports of an immigrant staff that has up to now got inadequate realization.
Praying and Preying deals one of many infrequent anthropological monographs at the Christian adventure of latest Amazonian indigenous peoples, in keeping with an ethnographic examine of the connection among the Wari’, population of Brazilian Amazonia, and the Evangelical missionaries of the recent Tribes undertaking.
Indian Classical Dance in a Transnational Context explores what occurs while a countrywide cultural construction is reproduced open air the quick social, political and cultural context of its beginning. while past stories have analysed Indian classical dance in simple terms within the context of Indian heritage and tradition, this quantity investigates performances of Indian classical dance within the united kingdom.
- Asian America: Sociological and Interdisciplinary Perspectives
- Using Anthropology in the World: A Guide to Becoming an Anthropologist Practitioner
- Social Change in Tikopia: Re-study of a Polynesian community after a generation
- The Mushroom at the End of the World: On the Possibility of Life in Capitalist Ruins
- Society of the Dead: Quita Manaquita and Palo Praise in Cuba
- Time, Consumption and Everyday Life: Practice, Materiality and Culture (Cultures of Consumption Series)
Extra resources for Peoples of the Plateau Area of Northern Nigeria: Western Africa Part VII: Volume 37 (Ethnographic Survey of Africa)
Peoples of the Plateau Area of Northern Nigeria: Western Africa Part VII: Volume 37 (Ethnographic Survey of Africa) by Harold D. Gunn